seems that once an idea has started even though it may far from the truth,
people will believe it rather than find the truth. This has never been more true
than the ideas of Women in Islam. On this page, I have gone into the
rights that women are accorded in Islam.
What are the rights of women in Islam? I have heard this question many times.
A woman in Islam has rights that are guaranteed in the Shari'ah. This is Islamic
law as set down by the Qur'an and the Prophet Muhammad ().
- A woman is recognized by Islam as a full and equal partner of man in the
procreation of humankind.
Qur'an 49:13 "Oh mankind! We have created you from a single (pair) of a
male and a female, and made you into nations and tribes that you may know each
- She is equal to man in bearing personal and common responsibilities and
receiving rewards for her deeds.
Qur'an 3:195 "And their Lord has accepted (their prayers) and answered
them saying: `Never will I cause to be lost the work of any of you, be he male
or female; you are members, one of another...
- She is equal to man in the pursuit education and knowledge.
- She is entitled to freedom of expression as much as a man is.
- Islam grants women equal rights to contract, to enterprise, to earn and
possess independently. A point here is that what a woman earns is hers and
she does not have to give it to her husband or family unless she wants to.
It is the husbands duty to support the family.
- Islam has given her a share of inheritance.
- She has the right to fair and just treatment during a divorce.
Qur'an 2:229 "A divorce is only permitted twice. After
that the parties should hold together on equitable terms or separate with
are two approved types of divorce in Islam. One is Talaq (instigated by man)
and Khul' (instigated by the woman). I have covered this issue in
greater detail under divorce
Another point I wish to make here is that a woman in Islam is entitled to
kind and just treatment. She is considered an individual and Allah (SWT)
through his wisdom and Islam has made allowances based on her biological
Top of Page
Send me an e-mail: